Freshersgo is a free job portal to find IT, BPO, Software, Technical,
A Platform To Showcase And Sell Your Crafts & Clothing.
Fueling entrepreneurship, Accelerating innovation.
Jigarthanda is an enormously
popular drink in Madurai. The name takes the origin as Jigar
meaning the Heart, Thanda means Cold so the special drink is
Jigarthanda is an enormously popular drink in Madurai. The name takes the origin as Jigar meaning the Heart, Thanda means Cold so the special drink is considered soothing to the heart. Back then when I visited my grandparents home in Madurai, I came across a small Lassi shop that sold this chilled beverage called Jigarthanda. Hot summer scorching my head, it was perfect for any afternoon. One sip of this drink, I instantly fell in love with it and from then on was in search of the recipe to recreate it at home. Luckily I discovered and got the best blend of the recipe. Anytime, if you have visited Madurai you can see sellers shouting, Jil Jil Jigarthanda, which just tempts you to the core to go try it out. Badam Pisin and Nannari syrup are the main base ingredients of this recipe.The complete recipe goes below.
Duration for preparation: 1 day
Cooking time:1 hour
Calories intake: medium (about 400-700 calories)
This recipe goes first by preparing the Icecream for Jigarthanda, later using milk, badam pisin and Nannari syrup the final drink gets ready.
How to prepare the Jil Jil Jigarthanda?
1)Chilled milk 2 cups (To make the drink)
2) Nannari Syrup 4 tbsp
3) Badam Pisin 1 tbsp
4) Milk (750 ml)(preparation of the ice-cream)
5) Sugar 1/2 cup
6) Fresh Cream 1/2 cup
7)Fresh Paal Kova 2 tbsp
8) Vanilla Essence 1/2 tsp
Preparation of the ice cream-
1) Boil 1 liter of milk and simmer for 10mins until milk is reduced a little.Add sugar and keep cooking on low flame until it is reduced to half.Scrap the sides regularly.
2) Now once it's reduced to half and is light brown in color, take a cup of it and refrigerate it so that its chilled while serving.Reduced milk is added with ordinary milk for texture.
3)Heat the rest of the reduced milk for 10 more minutes. Switch off and cool down completely.Then add pal kova to the cooled milk mixture.
3) After freezing it again, blend it using a mixer, repeat this for 2 more times, freeze and blend yet again. Finally pour it back and freeze it for 8 hours.Scoop out the ice cream from the frozen mixture.
Preparation of Jigarthanda base -
1) Add a tbsp of badam pisin in a bowl and then add enough water and keep it covered undisturbed overnight.Add more water seeing it increase in volume.
2) Take your serving glass first, add 2 tsp Nannari syrup then add 2 heaped tbsp of badam pisin.
3) Now add little milk then add little-reduced milk till it reaches 3/4Th of the glass.
4) Give a quick stir with a spoon then add a scoop of homemade ice cream.